Severe weather hits Aegean islands; circulation ban on Paros, Mykonos

The heavy rainfall and thunderstorms forecast to start Monday in the eastern part of Greece have been unfolding on the Cycladic Islands.
On Paros, where circulation was banned on the entire island, the Fire Department said that streets mostly in Naoussa and at Kolymbithres have flooded and carried away material, including cars. Two individuals were rescued from their cars outside Naoussa and transported to a safe place, while there is so far no reports of missing people.
The Municipality of Paros said in a statement that damage on the road network include landslides, floods, and collapse of parts of the network, making circulation dangerous. The Fire Department has received dozens of calls for water pumping, but the officers will do so after the intensity of the rain recedes. A Fire Department helicopter has attempted to reach the island but been unable to do so because of the weather.
A 112 emergency message dispatched earlier on Monday notified residents that all traffic on the island was banned. Visitors were advised by the municipality to avoid circulating also. Emergency vehicles are exempted from the ban, it said.
Armed Forces
A similar ban on circulation was issued through the 112 numbers to residents of Mykonos due to the weather. As on Paros, emergency vehicles are exempted.
The Armed Forces are on standby to provide help to Civil Protection due to the forecast warning of worsening weather phenomena. Specifically on the Cycladic Islands, the Constructions and Management of Natural Catastrophes Command (DIKAFKA) is on standby for any help it may be called on to provide on Paros or elsewhere. DIKAFKA is under the jurisdiction of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff.
See alaso:
Rhodes schools will not open on Tuesday due to severe weather